Popular Streaming Sites
- gogoanime - Self-hosted site that nearly all scraper sites source from.
- 9anime - Self-hosted site with a library on par with gogoanime. Marginally better quality while updating their releases to more often include fansubs and BD versions on older content.
- Zoro - Self-hosted site similar in quality to 9anime with an extensive library and is one of the only streaming sites with soft subtitles.
- Animixplay - Popular gogo scraper which also scrapes VRV for seasonal content (as indicated by the "0p" resolution option) leading to quality on par with legal options and WEB-DL torrent releases such as SubsPlease in those specific instances.
Picking a Streaming Site
While one can choose between the numerous popular sites listed both here and on The Index, the best way to pick a streaming site is to choose one that suits your needs, whatever those may be. These are some factors that may affect your choice.
Scrapers vs Self-Hosted Sites
A "scraper" is a site that takes content hosted on other sites, and puts it on their own. These are the streaming site equivalent to manga aggregator sites that are mentioned in the literature page. These can lead to extensive libraries without the need for the site owners to host the content themselves, usually at the expense of video quality. By far the most commonly scraped from site is gogoanime, so much so that most streaming sites in existence are gogoanime scrapers.
A "self-hosted" site is one that actually hosts all the content on their own servers. With some exceptions, this usually means a significantly smaller selection than all the scraper sites who can utilize gogo's massive library. However, this usually also leads to better video quality that can range from a marginal improvement, to extremely significant.
While streaming sites offer the worst video quality in comparison to the alternatives such as torrenting, DDL, or XDCC, that does not mean that all streaming sites are made equal. If for whatever reason those other methods are not open to you but you'd still like to improve the video quality of your media, then you have some options available to you.
Some comparisons between streaming sites:
- Demon Slayer (most major streaming sites and torrents) - https://slow.pics/c/pjYaqdnr
- Fate/Zero (9anime, animepahe, gogo, tenshi, and torrents) - https://slow.pics/c/1LNZtDzm
- Senran Kagura (gogo, animepahe, 9anime, twist, zoro, and torrents) - https://slow.pics/c/QLtX61qx
- Dokyuu Hentai HxEros (gogoanime, animepahe, 9anime, torrents) - https://slow.pics/c/PZRxqAsh
Quality Tier List
- Animixplay (0p) - Seasonal content with the 0p option belongs in Tier 1 because it is equal to SubsPlease/HorribleSubs releases making it the undisputed best quality for illegal streaming sites in these instances. Any content that does not have the 0p option belongs in Tier 3 with gogoanime.
- tenshi - Contains the smallest library of all the sites but with the best quality for BD releases and good quality for seasonal content.
- gogoanime (and scrapers)
- animepahe - Can be better or worse than gogoanime but with significantly smaller file size and the benefit of sourcing from good BD releases when available, like tenshi.
There are a multitude of other factors that may affect your decision in picking a site. Here are some brief recommendations based on some factors that aren't covered in The Index and are often not taken into account.
Fansubs and BD Versions
- Tenshi and animepahe are very consistent at picking good BD releases with good fansubs. 9anime also does this but less often and often with slightly worse release choice.
- animepahe has some of the smallest filesizes compared to other streaming sites. 9anime's are also relatively small compared to gogoanime and tenshi.
- Streaming site users often care about the UI and user experience. This is completely subjective, and the best advice we have is to try out the sites from The Index yourself and find what you like.
- Zoro is one of the only streaming sites with soft subtitles with the only other real alternatives being legal streaming sites.
Other factors like the ability to download, commments, MAL-Sync, and more can be identified in The Index